The HUD Choice Neighborhoods site team recently visited Avondale to learn more about how our work is transforming the neighborhood.
Community partners, sub grantees and city officials convened at the Urban League offices to discuss financial self-sufficiency, case management, community engagement and safety, education and health.
The Community Builders, Inc. has worked with partners to track outcomes for Avondale residents. Now, an increased number of Choice residents feel safer in their homes and more families are under the care of a primary doctor. Additionally, there’s an effort underway at the Urban League to create job placements at a high-tech logistics facility and soon, Avondale residents and businesses will have access to free Wi-Fi.
After the meeting, the group went on a tour with Choice residents that showcased over $100M of new development, including:
- Nearby investments such as the Hickory Place townhomes and the Burnet Avenue Revitalization area.
- Rehabbed buildings and the insides of units which residents showed with pride.
- Housing construction at the nearly completed Poinciana and Crescent Court. The developments feature 41% MBE participation to date.
- The site of the Avondale Town Center and envisioned the next phases of development
- The sites of the Hirsch Rec Center and the Avondale Connection Community & Business Center, both CCI investment and leverage sites